Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sacramentum Caritatis

Most of you know that my doctoral work is in worship and liturgy. I am always reading the latest research and information about this subject. As has been expected for some time, Benedict XVI has written a response to last year's Synod gathering of Bishops to discuss the role of the Eucharist in the life of the Church.

As Protestants, we make a mistake by ignoring Rome. I certainly would not advocate for us to place ourselves under the authority of the See of Peter...there has been too much history for that to make much sense in the 21st. c. But we must always be striving for Christ's desire that "...they may all be one..." and in doing so, all sides must entertain both the idea that there will have to be concessions made, and that we must start simply. And so, we must read what the other side has to say.

We should take seriously the pastoral and academic gifts of the current Pontiff. While we might disagree with him theologically and ecclesiologically, we cannot deny that he is brilliant; a sensitive Pastor and a skilled theologian and liturgist. This latest writing contains a fascinating summation of Roman Catholic eucharistic theology, and can be instructive for us Protestants as to how to allow the eucharist to become central to our religious lives once again.

I'm going to propose to my professor that I be allowed to write a response to this document as my final project for the semester. Perhaps it will be published. I've attached a link below, it's a long read but, I think, worth it. A friend and colleage even suggested that it might make a good Lenten reflection. I think he's right.

  • Sacramentum Caritatis
  • No comments: